UGC guidelines on college opening – The University Grant Commission has released new guidelines post COVID-19 impact for students and universitiers for college opening dates, exam dates, practicle exam, viva voice, PHD etc.
As per the new guidelines, the colleges would open in August. The semester exams would be completed by July end.
UGC Guidelines and recommendations
1. Intermediate Semester Students: Will be graded based on internal assessment of the present and previous semester. However, exams will be conducted in states where the Covid-19 situation has been normalised in the month of July.
2. Terminal Semester Students: Exams will be held in the month of July.
3. A Covid-19 cell will be constituted in every university which will be empowered to solve the issues of students related to academic calendar and examinations.
4. A Covid-19 cell in the UGC to be created for faster decision making.
5. If the situation demands, the universities can have summer vacations for 30 days from June 01 to June 30.
6. The Academic Session 2020-21 may commence from August 01, 2020, for old students and from September 01, 2020, for fresh students.
Practicle Exam, Viva-voice
The universities may conduct the practical examinations and Viva-Voce Examinations through Skype or other meeting apps, and in case of intermediate semesters, the practical examinations may be conducted during the ensuing semesters.
The universities may conduct the PhD and M. Phil. Viva -Voce Examinations through Video Conferencing using Google, Skype, Microsoft Technologies or any other reliable and mutually convenient technology.
It is also decided to give extension of six months period to the MPhil or PhD students.
If summer break is held in June, then, in that case, the teaching-learning through various modes can be held up to May 15, 2020, and subsequently finalization of dissertation etc. may be completed from May 16 to May 31, 2020.
New UGC academic calendar
The UGC has recommended the following calendar for the academic session 2019-2020:
The following calendar is suggested for the academic session 2020-2021:
UGC Guidelines – Others
2. Students will be given exposure to laboratory assignments/ practical experiments through virtual laboratories, sharing of the recorded visuals of laboratory work and digital resources available for the purpose.
3. The link provided by MHRD for virtual laboratories to facilitate the students of science/engineering/ technology streams may also be suitable for such purposes.
4. Develop virtual classroom and video conferencing facility and all teaching staff should be trained with the use of the technology.
5. Universities should prepare e-content/e-lab experiments and upload on their websites.
6. Strengthen the mechanism of mentor-mentee counselling.
7. Universities may devise a proforma to record the travel/ stay history of the staff and students for the period when they were away from the university due to lockdown.
8. Faculty should be adequately trained for the use of ICT and online teaching tools so that they complete about 25% of the syllabus through online teaching and 75% syllabus through face to face teaching.
Check UGC Calender details @UGC