1. Who among the following has been appointed as the Central Board of Direct
Taxes on May 01, 2008 ?
(a) Brajesh Mishra
(b) Rabender Singh Mathoda
(c) Soli J. Sorabjee
(d) T. K. A. Nair
Ans: ( b ) Rabender Singh Mathoda
2. Who among the following is the new Chief Minister of Meghalaya ?
(a) S. M. Krishna
(b) Uma Bharti
(c) Donkupar Roy
(d) Y. S. Rajasekhara Reddy
Ans: ( c ) Donkupar Roy
3. Who among the following has won the Miss Universe 2007 crown ?
(a) Riyo MORI
(b) Shandi Finnessey
(c) Alba Reyes
(d) None of these
Ans: ( a ) Riyo MORI
4. A solemn ceremony to mark the 60th Anniversary of D-Day landings of the Allies troops during the Second World War, was held in
(a) Pearl Harbour
(c) New York
Ans: ( b ) Normandy
5. Which of the following cricketers holds the world record of maximum number of sixes in Twenty 20 world cup cricket ?
(a) Yuvraj Singh
(b) Viv Richards (West Indies)
(c) Sachin Tendulkar (India)
(d) Wasim Akram (Pakistan)
Ans: ( a ) Yuvraj Singh
6. Who among the following has been appointed the new Chief Justice of India ?
(a) Justice Rajendra Babu
(b) Justice V. N. Khare
(c) Justice K.G.Balkrishnan
(d) None of these
Ans: ( c ) Justice K.G.Balkrishnan
7. Who among the following sports persons got the honour of lighting the Olympic flame at the in New Delhi recently ?
(a) Leander Paes
(b) Abhinav Bindra
(c) Viswanathan Anand
(d) K. M. Beenamol
Ans: ( a ) Leander Paes
8. Who among the following has been appointed new chairman of the National Knowledge Commission ?
(a) Ajit Singh
(b) K. C. Pant
(c) Sam Pitroda
(d) Sharad Pawar
Ans: ( c ) Sam Pitroda
9. Which of the following planets crossed the face of the sun (in transit) after 122 years ?
Ans: ( b ) Venus
10. Which of the following countries was admitted to the SAARC recently ?
Ans: ( d ) Afghanistan
11. The world governing body of which of the following sports celebrated its 100 years in existence ?
Ans: ( a ) Football
12. Who among the following won the men’s singles title of the Australian Open Tennis Championship 2008 ?
(a) Guillermo Coria
(b) Roger Federer
(c) Andy Roddick
(d) Novak Dokovic
Ans: ( d ) Novak Dokovic
13. Who is India’s first Woman Grand Master in Chess ?
(a) Aarthie Ramaswamy
(b) Koneru Humpy
(c) S. Meenakshi
(d) S. Vijayalakshmi
Ans: ( b ) Koneru Humpy
14. The age of a tree can be determined by
(a) Measuring its height
(b) Measuring its diameter
(c) Analyzing its sap
(d) Counting the annual growth rings of its stem
Ans: ( d ) Counting the annual growth rings of its stem
15. Which one of the following pairs is not correctly matched ?
(a) The Rocky : North America
(b) The Andes : South America
(c) The Alps : Europe
(d) The Ural : Africa
Ans: ( d ) The Ural : Africa
16. Which of the following pairs is correctly matched ?
(a) Purna Swaraj Resolution : 1929
(b) Martyrdom of Sardar Bhagat Singh : 1931
(c) Formation of the Congress Socialist Party: 1939
(d) Simla Confeence : 1940
Ans: ( b ) Martyrdom of Sardar Bhagat Singh : 1931
17. The Lingaraja Temple built during the medieval period is at
(d) Mount Abu
Ans: ( a ) Bhubaneswar
18. Which one of the following is essentially a solo dance ?
Ans: ( d ) Mohiniattam
19. The deepest oceanic trench Mariana is located in –
(a) Atlantic Ocean
(b) Arctic Ocean
(c) Pacific Ocean
(d) Indian Ocean
Ans: ( c ) Pacific Ocean
20. Although fog consists of fine drops of water, we cannot see clearly through it because –
(a) The light rays undergo total internal reflection in the drops
(b) Fine drops of water in fog polarize the light
(c) The fine drops are opaque to the light
(d) The drops scatter most of the light
Ans: ( d ) The drops scatter most of the light
21. During the Mughal period, which one of the following were the first to come to India as traders ?
Ans: ( a ) Portuguese
22. Who among the following Delhi Sultans is known for introducing market control mechanism ?
(c) Alauddin Khalji
(d) Firoze Tughlaq
Ans: ( c ) Alauddin Khalji
23. Which one of the following mountain peaks of the Himalayas is NOT in India ?
(b) Nanda Devi
(c) Mt. Kamet
Ans: ( a ) Annapurna
24. A rift valley is formed mainly due to
(a) The forces of tension in the earth?s crust
(b) The subsidence of the floor of a river valley
(c) The valley formed after the formation of fold mountains
(d) The deepening of a valley by ice action
Ans: ( a ) The forces of tension in the earth?s crust
25. Who is the author of the book Superstar India? ?
(a) Arun Shourie
(b) Dominique Lapierre
(c) Shobha De
(d) Salman Rushdie
Ans: ( c ) Shobha De