61. A Performance Budget is a technique emphasizing most on a scheme
(a) Of planning to deploy public resources to achieve the best results
(b) For ensuring financial control legislative
(c) For co-relating relationship between outputs and inputs
(d) Providing justification for all programmes and activities
62. The evolution of the study/discipline of Public Administration has witnessed many
paradigms. The politics-administration dichotomy paradigm identified the locus of public
administration in the
(a) Governments’ bureaucracy (c) Judiciary
(b) Legislature (d) Council of Ministers
63. After the Second World War, the scope of the study and practice of Public Administration
widened leaps and bounds, because of
- Post-War rehabilitation and reconstruction of the economy
- Spread of the concept of Welfare State Which of the reasons given above is / are correct?
(a) 1 only I (b) 2 only (c) Both 1 and 2 (d) Neither 1 nor 2
64. The conceptualization of organization ‘as a designing process’ may be regarded as limited,
one-sided and incomplete, because it
- Highlights the formal structural aspect of the organization only
- Privileges tasks and functions over the members of the organization j
- Focuses on the organizational efficiency only Correct answer
(a) 1 and 2 (b) 1 and 3 (c) 2 and 3 – (d) 1, 2 and 3
65. Consider the following statements
- The classical model of rational choice allows all members of an organization to make choices.
- Herbert Simon’s model of decision-making takes into account both rational and non-rational aspects of organization members.
Which of the statements given above is / are correct?
(a) 1 only (b) 2 only (c) Both 1 and 2 (d) Neither 1 nor 2
66. As per the Constitution (74th Amendment) Act, Legislatures of States have NOT been
conferred the power to empower municipalities with the responsibility of
(a) Preparation of plans for economic development and social justice
(b) Management of law and order
(c) Implementation of schemes as may be entrusted to them
(d) Levy, collection and appropriation of taxes, duties, tolls, etc.
67. Which of the following does not find mention in Philip Selznick’s key tasks of leadership?
(a) The definition of institutional mission and role
(b) The institutional generation of resources
(c) The defence of institutional integrity
(d) The ordering of the internal conflict
68. Commenting on the relationship between political development and administrative
development, Fred Riggs advocated that a strong bureaucracy is
(a) Mostly helpful to political development
(b) Inimical to political development
(c) Somewhat helpful to political development
(d) Neither helpful nor inimical to political development
69. Which of the following is/are correct regarding the Planning Commission?
- Deputy Chairman has always been a whole-time member.
- Some Union Cabinet Ministers have been part-time members.
- Members of the Planning Commission enjoy the status of a Cabinet Minister.
- Number of whole-time expert members has varied.
(a) 2 and 4 (b) 4 only (c) 1 and 3 (d) 1, 2 and 4
70. Which of the following are the non-divestiture options of privatization of sick public
enterprises in India in the era of liberalization?
1. Restructuring 2. Contracting out 3. Management buy-out 4. Joint ventures Correct answer
(a) 2 and 4 (b) 1 and 2 (c) 1, 2 and 4 (d) 1, 3 and 4
71. Which one of the following is not correct regarding the Comptroller and Auditor General
(CAG) of India?
(a) His salary and other service conditions are determined by the Parliament
(b) He shall take an oath before the President
(c) He may also before any appointed on President
(d) He can be removed on the grounds as in case of a Judge of High Court take an oath other person behalf of the
72. According to Article 78 of the Constitution of India, the Prime Minister has to furnish
information to the President in respect of
- All decisions of Council of Ministers relating to administration of the affairs of the Union
- Submitting for consideration of Council of Ministers any matter on which a decision has been taken by a Minister, but not considered earlier by the Council of Ministers
- Submitting proposals for Legislation as the President may call for
- International treaties Correct answer
(a) 1, 2, 4
(b) 1 and 3
(c) 2 and 3
(d) 1, 2, 3
73. In which one among the following books, the idea of ’sunk costs’ assumed theoretical
(a) Aaron Wildavsky’s ‘The Politics of the Budgetary Process’
(b) Herbert Simon’s ‘Administrative Behaviour’
(c) Dwight Waldo’s ‘The Administrative State’
(d) Anthony Downs’ ‘An Economic Theory of Democracy’
74. Consider the following statements:
- The personnel of the All-India Services serve in the Central Government, Union Territories and States.
- They bring a national perspective to their jobs.
- The marks obtained by them in the Foundational Training are not added to the marks secured in the Combined Competitive Examination of the UPSC.
Which of the statements given above is / are correct?
(a) 1 only (b) 2 and 3 (c) 2 only (d) 1 and 2
75. Haileybury School is associated with
(a) British Indian Army (c) British Indian Judiciary
(b) Indian Civil Service (d) British Indian Press
76. A Money Bill deals with
- Abolition and regulation of any tax . J B ^ —
- Giving any guarantee by the Government of India for borrowing of money
- Custody of Public Account
- Withdrawal of money from Contingency Fund of India Correct answer
(a) 1 & 2 (b) 1, 2, 3, 4 (c) 1, 2, 4 (d) 3 & 4
77. Which one of the following is not true of the attributes of New Public Administration?
(a) Based on normative political theory
(b) Administration with social concerns, humanism, participation and democracy / decentralization
(c) Scientism and separation fact-value
(d) Emphasis on the dimension of administration ethical public
78. Which one of the following statements is NOT correct regarding the State vs. Market debate?
(a) State and Market are two sovereign independent entities
(b) State and Market function in complementary relationship
(c) Although Market is self-regulatory, crisis situations invite intervention by the State
(d) Imperfection of either State or Market would reflect on the efficacy of the other
79. Which of the following powers does the President of India assume during the Proclamation
- He can issue directions to any State.
- He has the right to alter or amend distribution pattern of financial resources between the Union and States. XJ_J^L
- He can extend the life of the Lok Sabha by 6 months at a time.
- He can empower the Parliament to frame laws on the subjects under List II. Correct answer
(a) 1 and 4 L (b) 2, 3 and 4 (c) 1, 2 and 4 (d) 1 and 2
80. The President is recommended by the Finance Commission as to the
- Distribution of net proceeds of taxes between the Union and States
- Principles governing grants-in-aid of the revenues of States out of Contingency Fund of India
- Measures to augment Consolidated Fund of a State to supplement resources of Municipalities
- Measures to augment Consolidated Fund of a State to supplement resources of Panchayats Correct answer
(a) 1, 2 and 3 (b) 1, 3 and 4 (c) 1 and 4 (d) 3 and 4
81. Which of the following are within the mandate of the 73 rd Amendment to the Constitution of
- Disqualification provision for Panchayat membership
- Setting up of a State Finance Commission J^^^^^^’ .
- Empower the State Election Commission to hold periodic local government elections
- Constitution of a District Planning Committee Correct answer
(a) 1, 2 and 4 (b) 2 and 3 (c) 1 and 3 (d) 1, 2 and 3
82. In comparative public administration, there is
- Search for a theory of public administration
- Practical application of knowledge
- Comparative analysis of ongoing problems of public administration
- Neglect of cultural factors from comparative analysis of administrative systems Correct answer
(a) 1, 2 and 3 (b) 2 and 3 (c) 1 and 3 (d) 1, 2 and 4
83. According to Fred W. Riggs, Development Administration involves an egg-chicken type of
relationship between two major factors. They are
(a) Politics and administration
(b) Administration of development, and law and order
(c) Administration of development and development of administration
(d) Agraria and industria
84. Who of the following is not appointed by the Governor?
(a) State Council of Ministers (c) State Director General of Police
(b) State Advocate General (d) Members of State Public Service Commissions
85. The New Public Administration approach is the offshoot of the
(a) First Minnowbrook Conference
(b) Second Minnowbrook Conference H j
(c) Writings of Ferrel Heady and Sybil L. Stokes
(d) Theory of prismatic society coined by Fred W. Riggs
86. The paradigm shift towards liberalization, privatization and globalization in public policy has
- New Public Management / approach 3. Reliance on public choice- / based approach
- Rejection of the administrative / state 4. Bureaucratic expansion I Correct answer
(a) 1 and 2 (b) 2 and 3 (c) 1, 2 and 3 (d) 3 and 4
87. Consider the following statements regarding Maslow’s theory of motivation
- Human needs are not watertight compartments, but relative.
- Human needs clusters.
- Self-actualization needs are of topmost importance all the time.
- The emergence of human needs is gradual. Which of the statements given above is / are correct?
(a) 1, 2 and 4 (b) 2 and 3 (c) 4 only (d) 1 and 4
88. Which one of the following is NOT a characteristic of Weber’s theory of bureaucracy?
(a) Distribution of activities in a random way (c) Fixed jurisdictional arena
(b) Written documents (d) Authority to give commands
89. Unlike other classical Frederick Taylor was interested in writers, mainly
(a) Overall organizational problems
(b) Problems arising out of mechanization of the work setting
(c) Practical problems of efficiency
(d) Changing context of capitalism
90. Which among the following is / are the main emphasis/emphases of the classical theory of
- Design and rules
- Behaviour and motivation
- Deduction rather than induction
- Prescribed relationships among assigned responsibilities Correct answer
(a) 1 only (b) 2 and 3 (c) 1 and 4 (d) 1, 3 and 4
91. Which of the following conditions is / are necessary for undertaking the exercise of
- Advance programming of government operations on a short-term basis
- End results of the programme must be measurable
- Total outlay must be capable of allocation between fixed and variable costs
- Budget should provide for the entire project cost from a long-term point of view Correct answer
(a) 1, 2 and 4 (b) 2, 3 and 4 (c) 3 only (d) 2 and 3
92. Which one of the following perspectives is owed to Max Weber in his formulation of
(a) Personal ethics (b) Ethics of responsibility (c) Situational ethics (d) Regime values
93. Why did James Mooney describe the principle of Coordination as the first principle of
- It is an all-inclusive principle which provides unity of action.
- It expresses unity of action in pursuit of a common purpose.
- It contains devices for distribution of authority.
- It makes leadership imperative. Correct answer
(a) 1, 2 and 4 (b) 1 and 3 (c) 2 and 4 (d) 1, 2, 3 and 4
94. What are the rationales behind the principle of Supervision in public administration?
- It is an extension of the leadership function.
- It involves the function of direction and guidance to subordinates.
- It facilitates coordination of work.
- It is the principal means to identify errant workers.
(a) 1 and 2
(b) 1 and 3
(c) 3 and 4
(d) 1, 2 and 3
95. Which one of the following is not a function of a State Finance Commission?
(a) Determination of taxes, duties and tolls which may be assigned to Panchayats
(b) Grant-in-aid to Panchayats from Consolidated Fund of the Union Government
(c) Measures to improve financial position of Panchayats
(d) Distribution of the net proceeds of fees leviable by the State between the State and Panchayats
96. The Metropolitan Planning Committee while preparing the draft plan has to give due regard
- Matters of common interest between Municipalities and Panchayats
- Overall objectives and priorities set by the Union Government
- Plans prepared by Panchayats in Metropolitan areas
- Contingent emerging calamities circumstances out of natural Correct answer
(a) 1, 2, 3 and 4 (b) 2 and 4 —(c) 1 and 3 (d) 1, 2 and 3
97. Which one of the following agencies does not have statutory oversight over public
(a) The Parliament (c) The Comptroller and Auditor General
(b) The Planning Commission (d) The Finance Ministry
98. As per the Sixth Schedule to the Constitution of India, the rules for the first constitution of
District and Regional Councils are prepared by
(a) The Ministry of Government of India Home
(b) The Chief Minister in consultation with existing tribal councils or other representative tribal organizations of the region
(c) The Governor in consultation with existing tribal councils or other representative tribal organizations of the region
(d) The State Legislature
99. Match: List I (Feature)
A. Internal accountability C. Efficiency, economy and effectiveness
B. Self-serving bureaucracy D. Efficiency and economy
- New public management
List II (Theory)
3. Public choice theory
4. Max Weber’s bureaucratic theory
100. Which one of the following does not figure in bureaucratic forms as suggested by Merle
(a) Representative bureaucracies (c) Neutral bureaucracies
(b) State party bureaucracies (d) Military-dominated bureaucracies
101. The paradigm of ‘reversals’ mooted by Robert Chambers in the context of development
- Spatial reversals 3. Reversals in specialization
- Reversals in professional values and preferences 4. Management reversals Correct answer
(a) 1, 2 and 3 (b) 2 and 4 (c) 1 and 3 (d) 1, 2, 3 and 4
102. Civil society’s contribution to ‘good governance’ has in recent times been highlighted in
Robert Putnam’s research work on ’social capital’ which stands for
- Social cohesion 3. Civic ethos
- Democratization 4. Network of primary associations Correct answer
(a) 1 and 3 (b) 3 and 4 (c) 1, 3 and 4 (d) 2 and 4
103. The First Administrative Reforms Commission recommended gradations when writing
the confidential reports of secretariat officers of the level of Under Secretary and above. Which
one of the following gradations was NOT included in their recommendations?
(a) ‘Fit for promotion’ (c) ‘Unfit for promotion’
(b) ‘To be sent for training before promotion’ (d) ‘Not yet fit for promotion’
104. Bridging ‘fiscal deficit’ is a major problem in governmental budgeting. This is sought to
be solved through
- Market borrowing
- Selling of government securities
- Funds like and small tapping deposit provident fund savings schemes Correct answer
(a) 1, 2 and 3 (b) 2 and 3 (c) 1 and 3 (d) 1 only
105. In conceptualizing the motivations of the bureaucrats, Anthony Downs’ classification of
bureaucratic personalities has shed new light on the realities of bureaucratic performance. His
1. ‘Climbers’ 2. ‘Conservers’ 3. ‘Politicians’ 4. ‘Statesman’
(a) 1, 2, 3 and 4 (b) 2 and 4 (c) 1 and 3 (d) 1, 2 and 4
106. Which of the following are true of New Public Administration?
- It is client-oriented and concerned with social equity.
- It is an outcome of globalization.
- It decreases the role and importance of bureaucracy.
- It is supportive of innovation and change. Correct answer
(a) 1 and 3 (b) 3 and 4 (c) 1, 2 and 4 (d) 1, 3 and 4
107. Which of the following statements is / are correct?
- The Vice-Minister (Administrative) in Japan is a civil servant. j
- A French bureaucrat is more a public servant than a public official.
- American civil servants at the top level can be political appointees. Correct answer
(a) 1 and 2 (b) 1 only (c) 3 only (d) 1 and 3
108. In American context, Nicholas Henry observes that “Public Administration is the device
used to reconcile bureaucracy with democracy”. Which of the following truly reflect his
- A superior understanding of government and its relationship with the society it governs
- Encouragement to public policies to be more responsible to the social needs
- Conscious planning to overcome the constraints of tradition upon the functioning of
4. Institution of managerial policies attuned to effectiveness, efficiency and requirements of the
(a) 1, 2 and 3 (b) 2 and 4 (c) 1, 2 and 4 (d) 1, 3 and 4
(a) The number of attempts for candidates belonging to SC and ST be limited to six
(b) The age limit candidates may 21-26 years for general be limited to
(c) De-linking of Seven Central Group ‘A’ Services and Eight Central Group ‘B’ Services from Combined Civil Service
(d) Total marks of interview test be increased from 250 to 300
110. Which of the following statements is/are correct in respect of New Public
1. It is a philosophical movement of the 1970s.
2. It elevates techniques over values.
3. It focuses on issues of social equity and social change.
4. It is basically normative. Correct answer
(a) 1, 2, 3 and 4 (b) 1, 3 and 4 (e) 1 and 3 (d) 4 only
111. Which one of the following statements is NOT correct regarding the changing role of the
District Collector after independence?
(a) The Collector is vested with powers under various Central and State laws either by express provisions or by delegation
(b) The emergence of several technical departments at the district level under the State has reduced the Collector’s authority
(c) Even in times of natural calamities, the Collector’s supremacy no longer prevails
(d) The Collector’s role in rural development is affected by his relationship with the Zila Parishad
112. In employer-employee relationship, Whitleyism stands for
- Joint consultative machinery between the government and its employees
- A forum for free discussion and redressal of individual grievances ‘ j
- A form of arbitration compulsory Correct answer
(a) 1 and 2 (b) 1 only (c) 2 and 3 (d) 2 only
113. A number of streams run through the ‘Open Model’ of organization theory’s overarching
framework. Which one of the following falls outside this typology of streams?
(a) Administrative or generic management (c) Human relations school
(b) Organization development (d) Organization-environment interaction
114. Which of the following are the features of the Fused model of Fred Riggs?
1. Particularism 2. Attainment 3. Ascriptive values 4. Functionally diffuse
(a) 1 and 3 (b) 3 and 4 (c) 1, 3 and 4 (d) 1, 2 and 4
115. Which of the following is/are true with respect to the Public Accounts Committee?
- Its work is based solely on the audit reports of the CAG.
- It examines the accounts of the Government of India for appropriations made by the Lok Sabha.
- It examines the accounts of autonomous and semi-autonomous bodies.
(a) 1, 2 and 3 (b) 2 and 3 (c) 1 and 2 (d) 3 only
116. As per Herbert Simon, which one of the following is the correct order of the three key
activities that are central to decision-making?
(a) Choice-design-intelligence (c) Intelligence-design-choice
(b) Planning-choice-design (d) Intelligence-choice-design
117. Which of the following are the contributions of Comparative Administration Group in the
development of public administration?
- It facilitated cross-cultural research relevant to public administration.
- It enriched the literature on public administration.
- It supplied intellectual inputs for technical assistance programmes.
- Its mainstream remained ethno-centric. Correct answer
(a) 1, 2 and 3 (b) 2 and 3 (c) 1 and 3 U (d) 1, 2 and 4
118. Which of the following are the recommendations of the 2nd Administrative Reforms
- Creation of autonomous personnel boards on a statutory basis for assisting the high-level political authorities
- At the higher level-say the Joint Secretary level-all posts should be open for recruitment from a wide variety of sources including the open market
- Constitutional safeguards provided to civil servants under Article 311 should be considered sacrosanct
- The specialist should not be required to play second fiddle to the generalist at the top Correct answer
(a) 1 and 2 (b) 2 and 4 (c) 1, 2 and 4 (d) 1, 3 and 4
119. Which one of the following is not correct in respect of the Civil Service of France?
(a) ENA is responsible for recruitment and training of higher civil servants
(b) A career civil servant cannot hold a ministerial post
(c) A civil servant is recruited to a corps and stays in it for the rest of his career
(d) A civil servant can go on deputation with right of ‘reintegration’ into his corps
120. Which of the following matters are brought before Staff Councils attached to each Ministry in the Central Secretariat for discussion?
- Welfare of staff members 3. Improving efficiency and standard of work
- Working conditions of staff members 4. Salary structure and perks Correct answer
(a) 1, 2, 3 and 4 (b) 2 and 3 (c) 1, 2 and 3 (d) 1 and 4